Saturday, October 4, 2008




I thought it would be nice to start a blog so that everyone who wants to know about our journey trying to conceive can. I know a lot of people want to know, but don't know how to ask. I will try and update the blog as often as I can!

As many of you know, Eli and I got married May 3, 2008. Excited to start additions to our family, we started trying to have a baby before we got married, sorry mom & dad :). I stopped my birth control around January, hoping we could time it right, get pregnant on the honeymoon and have a baby before our 1 year anniversary! I thought it would go easily and never even imagined we would have trouble. You always think it won't be you. No one in my family had trouble so why should I, right? Wrong.
I went from January to the end of May without even getting my period!!! Yeah it sounds great, and it was, but not when your trying to have a baby. So, after the honeymoon, when in my "dream world" I was supposed to be pregnant, I decided to go and talk to an OB doctor. Because of where I work, I chose the best one I know, Dr. Baram and made an appointment. He did assure me that not getting your period was normal after taking birth control, but gave me a prescription for progesterone pills to jump start a period and get me on a regular schedule.
10 days and lots of cramping later, I got my period! I remember running out to tell Eli and he said, "Wow, I have never seen you so excited about your period". He was probably right! Now I thought, we can get pregnant, I'm getting a period and then I will ovulate and we will have a baby! Yeah!
Wrong again. I never ovulated. 2 months went by, another round of progesterone pills, no signs of ovulation. :( Back to Dr. Baram. On our third appointment, he decided to start me on a low dose of Clomiphene Citrate or Clomid. Clomid is a drug that can help you to ovulate. I was started on 50mg. Treatment from Dr. Baram was, take the progesterone on the third day of your period take the clomid for 5 days and have sex every other day starting on day 10-22, on day 22 come to the lab and have your progesterone level drawn. Wow! My husband will be happy I thought! Sounds like a lot of work, but I will do anything! And I have heard so many success stories on the first month of clomid, I thought this would be all we need and we would get pregnant!
The month went by. Again, nothing. No signs of ovulation, no positive ovulation tests and worst of all my progesterone level was VERY low :(. I can remember how excited I was when I called the clinic to get my test results and I can still hear the nurse say to me, "not this month hunny, sorry". I was so heart broken, why me? Why is this so hard for us? My level was 1.3, Dr. Baram said he would like it to be at least 4 or greater and even above 10 to have ovulated and keep a pregnancy. So, he decided to up the dose of clomid to 100mg with the same plan as last month.
Month #2 on clomid. On day 10-12 I had signs of ovulation!!! Yeah! Gail and See (two Ob nurses I work with) were in the bathroom with me when I found out and just ask them I was glowing with excitement! They were glad no one else was in the bathroom with us :) . Now I can't wait for my progesterone level this month, I just know it will be high! I am looking forward to pregnancyin the future, but would love to get the ovulation part down first!

Please pray for us! Love, Kristen & Eli

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you! We have the opposite problem...we can get pregnant, we just can't keep the baby. We have lost 3 pregnancies and are on #4. We always get preggo when we stop trying...almost like the stress of trying is stopping it from happening. It isn't fair that all of these undeserving chicks get to have healthy babies. It will happen for you...have FAITH!!

Home Tuition said...

GRADUATE HOME TUITION is a registered business in Singapore and Hong Kong that has an extensive network of dedicated and experienced home tutors.