Thursday, March 24, 2011

Retrieval Update

I want to thank everyone for the sweet messages, texts, calls etc. I have been able to answer some but not others. I haven't been feeling that well and have been on the verge of going to the ER multiple times.

The retrieval went VERY well yesterday. Dr. M wasn't there, but one of his partners Dr. K did the retrieval and he was great. Dr. K and my husband talked about Harley Davidson's for 15 minutes! He made Eli feel better about being there and I thank him for that. Dr. K said he suspected to get anywhere between 10 and 30 eggs. When it was time for me to go back to the OR Eli gave me a kiss and I walked into the room. The anesthesiologist and nurse were very nice and reassuring. They started an IV and I was given Fentanyl and something else to relax. Before I knew it I was sleeping and then waking up in recovery. I think I asked 8 times how many eggs they got....and heard the anesthesiologist tell Eli I will probably keep asking since I am awake but nothing is really registering! Ha!! BUT guess how many they got?!?!

I was in SHOCK!!! 27 is an awesome number!! I know they won't all be mature but that is a good number to start with. Tomorrow sometime the embryologist will call and tell us how many have fertilized. They will then call again Sunday and let us know what time the transfer will be on Monday. I can't wait!!! Please keep praying that our embryos are strong and healthy!!

Now on to why I am not feeling well. Dr. M prescribed a medication for me to take called Cabergoline. The goal of the medication is to prevent and/or minimize Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome and is to be taken for 8 days once a day. I took the first one yesterday and had horrible side effects from it. I was very dizzy, lightheaded, nauseated, vomiting and just felt like crap. Eli called Dr. M last night and he gave me some suggestions on what to do and if I didn't get better I needed to go to the ER. It all eventually passed and I felt better this morning. Dr. M called today and wanted me to give the medication another shot. Bad decision, I got even sicker and once again almost went to the ER. I am finally feeling a little better, but having some pain and still dizzy. Dr. M does not want me to take that medication again and neither do I! Hopefully tomorrow I will feel a lot better and will update after the embryologist calls. Keep saying prayers, they are working!!

Lots of love, Kristen & Eli

1 comment:

Emily said...

YaHooooo! What an amazing number Kristen, way to go. I'm hoping to hear tomorrow that several have fertilized. I'm sorry that medicine is making you so sick. Hugs!